The City of Des Peres has operated under the Mayor/Council/Administrator form of government since 1973.
Under this form of government the City Administrator serves as the Chief Administrative Officer and is responsible for overseeing the day to day operations of the city, which may include dealing with financial, legislative, legal, or personnel matters as they arise.
The City Administrator is also responsible for the preparation and submittal of the annual budget to the Board of Aldermen
Since 1973, five City Administrators have worked for the City of Des Peres:
- Frederick Siems (1973 - 1978)
- Stephen Wicker (1978 - 1982)
- Ronald Thomure (1982 - 1983)
- Tony G. Riggs (1983 - 1984)
- Douglas J. Harms (1985 - present)